Sunday, January 24, 2010

Rough Teachers Quorum

It was a rough day at church today. I have had some problems with a couple of my boys coming to mutual on Wednesdays. After a couple of months I made them co-captains over the varsity program and asked them to be there every week. Since that time they have come every week without fail, that was until the past two weeks.

I called one of the boys and asked him why he didn't show up and he told me that he didn't feel like it. When I got to the root of the problem I found out that he had a problem with the twins in our quorum and told me that he wasn't going to come if they were going to be there. The bad part about this is that those two don't come due to sports that conflict with Wednesday night activities. I talked to this boy about it throughout the week and he told me that he would be there the following Wednesday and not to worry about him.

Today that young man seemed really mad all through church. I thought that maybe he was mad at me for calling him out about mutual so I just proceeded with my other duties. When we made it to Teachers Quorum I went over some announcements and then the father of the twins (he is my assistant) called the boys out for not being prepared with the sacrament today. He talked about how it was a sin of omission and that included not coming to mutual. This boy who had been so upset all day BLEW UP at him and started calling out him and his boys for not doing their aaronic priesthood duties. Now to bring you up to speed, these twin boys are the first and second counselors in the Teachers Quorum presidency.

The first boy was livid to the point that I had to take him out of class and calm him down. This boy is such a great kid and could be a great leader but he lets his emotions get to him. Unfortunately for him, I see a lot of me in him. He is a great kid but he "isn't going to take any crap from anyone" so he tends to get a little upset.

On the other hand I totally understand where he is coming from. He thinks that we shouldn't be giving a pass to the two boys who are in the presidency and should be doing their duties. I had to apologize to this boy for not holding the twins to the same standard. Afterward we met with my assistant and had a discussion that didn't go so well so I sent the boy to talk with the bishop and I met with my assistant to let him know how I felt about his boys not being to mutual and taking care of their aaronic priesthood duties.

Things turned out well in the end and I learned that our bishop is amazing. He took this young man and told him how much he loved him and that he needed him to exercise patience and faith and the Lord would bless him. I can't convey to you the feeling that was in this bishops office but it was a great experience and I am so happy to be in the young men's program with these great young men. It also gives me the opportunity to work closely with the bishop and that is an awesome experience.

4 comments:

The Henriksons said...

Justin,

Sounds like priesthood was fun! I am the young Men's President and haven't had to deal with anything like that. I do love working with the young men though. Keep up the good work.

Rob

Vip said...

Thanks Uncle Rob. I am the first counselor and I love working with the youth. These young men are so great and I can see why they have been saved for these times. I wish that eveyone could see that, then maybe we wouldn't have the problems that we are having in our quorum. I'll bet you are an awesome YM president. I am sure that your boys love you.

Vip said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The VIPs said...

I thought you handled the whole situation really well babe.