Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Is This FOR REAL?


In the 90's I was a young boy looking at BYU players with awe. I would wait outside the locker room for autographs of Ty Detmer, Eric Drage, Chad Lewis or anyone that had anything to do with the team. I was so excited about the chance to get to see these guys in action and then again in their street clothes. 20 years later I seem to be doing the same thing. As I looked at the SI cover for the hundredth time today I got to thinking about the men in my life who have brought me to this point in my BYU fan hood and wondered if they feel or felt the same way that I do today...Is This Real? For years I would go to games with my parents. We would sit in the north end zone and watch the games through binoculars. My dad would listen to Paul James on his Walkman during the game to get the play by play. Before that though my parents went with my Uncle Rob and Aunt Millie. They would take off to the games with all of their BYU gear and when they came home they would turn on the replay of the game and watch it. It was here that I fell in love with Uncle Rob's mashed potatoes and watching BYU games with the men that I thought knew everything about football. So now I ask, was this what it was like for you? Did you think that BYU football couldn't get any better when Steve Young, Robbie Bosco or Ty Detmer were playing? Did you believe that BYU had hit it's pinnacle? As I look at the cover of SI one last time before I go and buy it I truly stand in amazement over what BYU has done for me and I ask myself, Is This For Real?

2 comments:

The VIPs said...

here's hoping they screw up my bracket and go all the way!

SL&G said...

So true. I do think it is a bit creepy how our childhood BYU memories seem to be exactly the same. Seriously... very odd, yet very AWESOME. Speaking of Ty, we have not seen this kind of hype since then. Huge paper "Tysman" ties all over the stadium... very Jimmer-esque. Better said, Jimmermania is very Ty-esque. Either way, we are living the dream.