Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Double Major...WHAT?


So a week ago I sat down with the History Chair at Idaho State to discuss my senior thesis and a couple of class decisions that I needed to make. In the process of talking with him it was made known that I would like to teach history in college and not just high school. Dr. Marsh informed me that by being a secondary education major with an emphasis in history and a minor in political science would not allow me to go to graduate school in history. I explained to him that I did know that, but that I was hoping to find a school that would look at the classes I took here and see that I put in a lot of work in history and see what I would need to do to get in to a masters history program. He told me that it would be hard to do that because other schools would see my B.A. in education and not in history. He then told me that Idaho State was one of the few schools that require their secondary ed majors in history to take all the same classes that a history major must take. Dr. Marsh explained to me that my best bet was to double major.

I have ran into a few of these so called "double majors". Whenever you ask them what they are majoring in, they always say, "I have a double major in blah blah and blah blah." You always feel like an idiot because you only have one major and a double major must be double the work.

Well because I have an associates degree from the College of Southern Idaho, I am a little farther along. This means that I don't have to take a language course here at Idaho State. To double major all I have to do are the classes that I am already taking. It is a little more work because as a secondary education major I am required to have a minor. I still have to take my political science classes but I only have one more to take and my minor will be fulfilled.

So just like that I am now a double major in secondary education with an emphasis on history and a minor in political science and a history major. That's right, I do sound pompous and I kind of like it.

One last note, there are two schools close that have graduate programs in my field that have information on my thesis. Both schools drive me crazy because of my affiliation (which is only has a fan) with BYU. The first is Utah State, great program but I hate their fan base. The other is the University of Utah, can't stand that they are the University of Pac 12 and they are BYU's rival. Mostly likely I will be trying my hardest to get into the University of Utah because it will be the easiest to work on my thesis from there. Let's hope I can stay True Blue at the U!

1 comment:

The VIPs said...

Look at that sexy double major!! WOO!!