Friday, October 15, 2010

My Mom is Way Better Than Your Mom


This past weekend we were able to travel to Twin Falls to be at church with my parents as my mom was put in as the Relief Society President. It was a great experience to be there with her while she was set apart. Over that last couple of years I have noticed a change in my parents. A change that you all have probably noticed as well. A change that I hope that my children will notice and follow in their lives.

As dad was put in the bishopric a few years ago I started to notice this change. I felt this change again as my mom called and told me that she was the new Relief Society President. Both my mom and dad have become the Lords leaders, instruments in the Lords hands. I have never known my parents to rush back from a trip to be to church on Sunday, but last year we ran down to a BYU game. We made it to SLC late and then headed down to LaVell Edwards Stadium to be there for ESPN GAME DAY. Afterwards we drove back to SLC to get some sleep before the game. We all got about an hour of sleep before driving back down to BYU to be to the BYU vs TCU game. After which we turned back around headed for home so that my dad could take care of his Sunday responsibilities. What a great example that was to me. I have since tried to emulate that same example by taking care of my Sunday and Wednesday night activities.

After receiving the call that my mom was going to be the Relief Society President I thought for a moment about how mom would fit into her new calling. She has been prepared for this calling for sometime. She has what it takes to make a great RS president. I have caught her reading her scriptures in the morning, I have seen her preparing for a Sunday school class and I have seen her be an excellent example for the Lord.

A couple or years ago I marveled at my father and how he was prepared to take on the responsibility of being in the bishopric. Last Sunday I stood in awe of my mother and her preparedness and humble attitude toward this calling. What a great example she will be to my daughter as a leader of our heavenly father. What a great example she will be to our family in this time of uncertainty. Thank you mom for being that example, thank you for being the strong daughter of God that you are.

7 comments:

MaudieV said...

My humble thanks for your love, support, and kind words. I love you.

SL&G said...

Very true! Great Post! I love you mom you'll do great!

The Henriksons said...

Your mom is a great example. I have learned a lot from her and continue to do so. Great post Justin. Millie

Ariane said...

Amen Justin! I too am grateful for a mother who is such a great example of leadership, love, discipleship, and motherhood. Thanks Mom, We love you!

The VIPs said...

sweet post babe, very true. : )

caitlin said...

Such a sweet post. Sounds like your mom is lucky to have you as much as your lucky to have her. Mom's are the greatest.

caitlin said...

wow, so many grammar issues with that comment.. but you get the idea! Hey, it's Friday after all.