Monday, October 11, 2010

My Weekend Was Better Then Your Weekend

Lyric and Scott called me this past week and asked me if I would like to go to the BYU game with them. I jumped at the chance to and what was even better the seats were Scott's grandpas seats so we were able to sit right behind the opposing team on the west side of the stands. It was amazing! I was able to ride down with my dads young mens group who were also going to the game. I stayed with Lyric and Scott at their place in Salt Lake. We had a great time catching up and gossiping. The next day we headed down to Provo to check out the homecoming festivities. I had never been to Legacy Hall before which turned out to be the most amazing place in the entire world. We saw the National Championship Trophy and the Heisman Trophy among a lot of other great memorabilia. As we headed up the stairs to the second level Scott motioned to me that Coach Anae was walking by. We got to the top of the stairs and Scott eeked out "Good luck to day Coach". I was surprised since I was totally speechless. We hung out on that floor for a good 30 minutes before Coach Anae walked out again. This time I was determined to get a picture with him. I asked him if Scott and I could get a picture and he said yes. We were totally stoked at the opportunity. After that we made our way to the third floor. On the third floor we found a case with memorabilia from the 1958 BYU baseball team. This team had made it to the college world series but because it was played on Sunday they forfeited their spot. The cool thing about this is that I work with a guy who was on this team. Stan Jackson played second base for the the 1956-58 Cougars. In the picture he is on the bottom row second one from the right. Marc and Ashely showed up after that and we went and had lunch with them and then headed to the stadium. Sitting in LaVell Edwards Stadium is almost a spiritual experience for me. The smell of the grass, the sight of the mountains in the background, the sound of the crowd makes this place just come alive for me. I love it there and I always love making it down for a game. BYU ended up winning that game and Scott and I were so happy. It was so loud and we both yelled till we didn't have voices anymore.

I am so thankful to have family that thinks of me when things like this come up. Lyric and Scott were awesome to think of me, Dad was awesome to get me a ride down there, Marc called to make sure that I already had a ride and Ariane drove dad and I around making sure that we made it to the church on time so we could leave with them. Lastly my wife was so awesome to let me go and to stay with her family for two nights so that I didn't have to worry about them driving down without me. Thanks for all you do for me, I really appreciate it.

National Championship Trophy

Heisman Trophy

Scott, Coach Anae, and Myself

Trophy case about the 1958 BYU Baseball Team

The story about the 1958 baseball team
1958 BYU baseball team
Stan is the second one from the right on the bottom row


Hour before kickoff already in our seats

View from a sky box which Kevin let us use
View from our seats in the 4th qtr


View from our seats in the 4th qtr

4 comments:

The Henriksons said...

You did have a great weekend. Rob will be so jealous. Go Cougs! And you do have an awesome family. Go Vips!!

SL&G said...

We had a blast too! Glad you could come! Maybe next time we can get Becky here too!

The VIPs said...

NEVER!!!



(just kidding. maybe someday.)

SL&G said...

I agree (about the weekend)... pretty much amazing in every way. I'm glad you were able to come down to enjoy those seats with us. We'll do it again someday... mark my words, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN. Go Cougs!

-Scott