Thursday, November 18, 2010


A friend at work overheard me talking about books that I was reading a couple weeks ago. The next day she showed up with a couple books that she thought I would like. Recently I have started checking books out on the Internet that people have recommended to me. I mentioned awhile ago that I had read one of the worst books that I have ever read and unfortunately a friend had recommended it to me. So I was a little leery when Leila brought this book to me, but she assured me that it was a good read and that she thought that I would like it.

Well Leila you were right. This book was a great book and I really enjoyed reading it. The writing was amazing, it captured me from the beginning and kept me hooked through the last line. The story was unique and I loved the characters. The thought process was kind of all over the place but I really enjoyed it.

The story is not unlike anything that you have ever read, a simple plot that is older then the dust. Boy meets girl, girl likes another boy, that boy doesn't like her and she can't find it in her heart to love the first boy. Arturo is a young writer who has moved to L.A. from Colorado. He has written a short story and is working on a novel. He meets a girl in a cafe, Camilla, who at first likes him but after time can't stand him. Camilla falls in love with Sammy who is sick and dying in the Santa Ana desert. Arturo hates Sammy but Camilla gets him to help Sammy write a book as his dying wish. Sammy can't stand Camilla and the only reason that she is around is because of Arturo. The story goes around and around until Camilla is driven crazy and ends up in mental institution.

I would like to say that Camilla represents Arturo's inner self and that he can't get over his short comings. I would like to tell you that Sammy is the struggle between life, love and death. I think that this story is too simple for that, I think that the story is just the story of Arturo Bandini...a great writer. I would recommend this book to anyone, I really liked it.

2 comments:

The VIPs said...

sounds like a good one babe, glad you liked it

The Henriksons said...

I am going to the library site and put it on hold right now. Thanks! Millie