Thursday, February 24, 2011

Vonnegut is Amazing


It has been awhile since I posted a blog about what I have been reading. To be honest a few things that I have read I am embarrassed to let people know about. Alas I am on to a more moving book. I just finished Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut and to give you a sense of how good I thought it was, I finished it in three days. I couldn't put it down. I know that I have said that other Kurt Vonnegut books were amazing as well and I am probably just on the Vonnegut bandwagon but this book was amazing and I would encourage anyone to read it.

Mother Night is about an American, Howard Campbell, who grew up in pre-World War II Germany. He is a writer and a play write who doesn't care about the war that is about to take place. Campbell is propositioned by a US intelligence officer who wants him to work for the US against the Nazi's. In order to make it work though he would have to become a Nazi and work for the regime. This officer tells him that no one would know that he was a spy and that the United States would hate him. Campbell makes the decision and becomes a radio personality that spews Nazi propaganda. When the war is over he makes his way back to the United States and later is captured by Israeli's and is charge with war crimes against humanity.

Kurt Vonnegut does such a great job in his writing of getting the reader sucked in. Every book that I have read by him keeps me engaged. This book was so good that I can't wait to read my next Vonnegut book.

Quotes:

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

There are plenty of good reasons for fighting," I said, "but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God Almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side.

Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile.

Generally speaking, espionage offers each spy an opportunity to go crazy in a way he finds irresistible.

3 comments:

The VIPs said...

wow, i love that quote about hate

Vip said...

I do too. I really think that you should read this book when you have the time. It was really good.

The Henriksons said...

Went right to the library site and put it on hold! Thanks, Millie