Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Rivalry Week



This week is Rivalry week in NCAA football. There are a lot of teams playing rivalry games this week but the one I am most concerned about is the BYU vs Utah game. This game comes down to the wire every year and I am always concerned for it even when one or the other teams are down. They just get up to play this game every year. This year Utah is 11-0 and BYU is 10-1 which makes it a big game for the conference. BYU could earn a piece of the MWC title with a win at Utah and keep Utah out of a BCS bowl game. There is a lot at stake and even when there is nothing at stake this game is crazy. The reason for me writing about this game is to get some things off my mind since I have not been sleeping so well the past couple of nights. Both nights I have dreamt about this game. The first night BYU won 38-24 as they pulled away in the second half of the game. Last night Utah won 17-14 as BYU missed a 38 yard field goal that would have tied the game. That is what this rivalry is all about. It bothers me that people in Boise are saying that Idaho is not their rival because they don't put up a fight. I have seen a lot of BYU games against Utah and sometimes they are not fights either. The problem is that BSU fans think that their rival is anybody who might be better then them. The year that Becky and I came up to Boise to go to school the rival was Oregon State, the next year was Fresno, last year it was Hawaii and this year it is Nevada. I don't think that a rivalry game can change and if it can then it can't be very good. The things that makes the BYU vs Utah rivalry so good is that they have played for along time, they are in the same conference (which doesn't make a good rivalry), and the big one, they are in the same state. It is always huge and that is what makes it so much fun.

I am looking forward to the game this week. This week as been going so slow and I know that it is because I can't wait for this game to start. I was at the game last year and rushed the field when BYU won the game and clinched the MWC title for the second year in a row. I watched in 2006 as John Beck and Co. marched down the field and scored to win the game for the Y (ask Becky about that game as I almost killed one of our cats). I am so excited for this game you don't even know.

4 comments:

The VIPs said...

Oh poor Chester. That's probably why the cats are so happy outside, especially during football season.

Ariane said...

Now that's a true fan... having dreams about the big rivalry game! I hope the first dream is correct.

SL&G said...

Well put! Once again you effectively illustrated how completely clueless "Bronco Nation" (which is really more like Bronco Township) is. Very few college football programs have a rivalry on the same level as the Holy War. All I have to say is BRING IT!!!!!!!!!!

Vip said...

I have been freaking out about this game all year. I know that we have what it takes to win but I know that everything is thrown out the window in this game. As for Scotts comment, they really are a "Bronco Township". You can't just jump around all the time thinking that everyone is your rival.